"THE WALL"

Boomers International Board: Vietnam Vets's Place: "THE WALL"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Jim-starjm50 on Saturday, June 10, 2000 - 12:53 pm:

It took me a Number of years before I would visit The Wall,with the names of Friends,fellow Vietnam Veterans I had Known and the Rest I,Sadly,would never Meet!!
My first visit was Prior to moving here to the South,about 4 yrs.ago. I had been invited on a number of occations prior to that visit. One such invite came from a friend,and fellow Vietnam Vet,from Northern New York to ride down with him on His Harley when they First Started the "Rolling Thunder" Trips of Vietnam Veteran Bikers to The Wall,on Memorial Day!! Never took him up on it,and Regretted that and other thoughts of going prior to that first visit!!
Well on my Recent vacation,up to New York,my chance to Ride in With the "Rolling Thunder" Bikers finally happened by chance!!
As I was riding up Rt. 77N and crossed into Virginia I started seeing Bikers riding in Numbers along the Highway,any where from 2 to 10 in numbers. While it was a Great Day,for riding ,you ussually don't see a number of riders out at one time. When I stopped to get Gas I ran into a few of them,after finding out why so many Bikers were out I asked if I could Ride along,as that's where I was Headed Also.
By the time We Arrived in D.C.,for the Memorial Day Ceremonies at The Wall,there were Several Hundred Bikers in Our Caravan,along with other Cars,RV's,Vans etc.. Needless to say it was Quite a Trip Down 66 To D.C.. Very Immotional Indeed!!!
While that trip was an Emotional Experiance,visiting "The Wall" Carries with it a Totally Differant Sense of Emotions by Everyone who has ever Visited,they can be Very Hard to discribe to someone who has not Visited,But I Urge Everyone To Do So,you'll understand my meaning while you visit and afterwards as well!!
We Lost Far To Many in This War,Probably Many of The Best You'll Ever Know,and now will Never Have The Chance To Meet!!
We as Boomers must get Back Much of That Fire,in our Souls,a few of us Carried a long time ago and Start Changing the Way this World is Headed,as we have entered a New Century!! This is not only Allowing Another War as this one was,But Our Societies are Losing Their Way,and I Fear For Those Who Will Follow Us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Jeri on Saturday, June 10, 2000 - 10:27 pm:

Dear Jim: Very touching! Indeed if anyone ever visited "THE WALL" they will know exactly what you meant. I was in D.C. in 1984 and of course I visited "The Wall" ....

It was overwhelming to see all those 58,000 + names lining up there, rows after rows ..... So many lives, so many lost~..

I am from Thailand originally and Vietnam war was closed to home. We didn't suffered during the war like our neighbors, Loas, Cambodia and Vietnam but we saw what it did to the people in those countries and the young men who were sent there ... Many of them, in their 18-19-20's. came to Bangkok and Pattaya during their R&R and they were having the time of their life since they never knew that they were going to be back again when they went back to Nam......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By BeachBoyRon on Sunday, June 11, 2000 - 12:59 am:

Jim, I have been to the Wall, my friend's brother is listed on the Wall. He was killed early in the war serving in the Marine Corps. My friend was against the war but his efforts to end the war came too late for his brother.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Jim-starjm50 on Saturday, June 17, 2000 - 01:20 pm:

Jeri,as I think I had mentioned to you,awhile back,I was in Bangkok for a few days R&R while in Nam. Not only would I like Returning to Vietnam,one of these days,but a side trip to Bangkok,or anywhere in Thailand,would be Most enjoyable as well!! As I Love the People of Southeast Asia,no matter the Country,they are Probably the Most Gental folks on this Planet despite what some of Their Leaders have done over the Years. And in Vietnam,both Us and the French were wrong in our Thinking of the Politics of that Nation!!!
Ron,they came to Late for many!! And today we look at it in all the wrong ways as to getting involved in any Conflict!! Sadly the True lessons of Vietnam will never be Fully Understood and Put into Practise!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Nancy Sullivan on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 04:08 pm:

Jim,

I was never in Viet Nam, but have many friends who lived through it in many different ways. I am writing a book on baby boomers and the changes and challenges we face in our adult lives and I would very much like to interview you or any others who feel that experiences related to VietNam (there or here in the states) may have made significant impacts on their lives. Please let me know if you would be interested and I would be happy to contact you or others by email to explain more about the book and the interview. Thanks very much!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Nancy Sullivan on Thursday, June 29, 2000 - 04:11 pm:

Jim,

I was never in Viet Nam, but have many friends who lived through it in many different ways. I am writing a book on baby boomers and the changes and challenges we face in our adult lives and I would very much like to interview you or any others who feel that experiences related to VietNam (there or here in the states) may have made significant impacts on their lives. Please let me know if you would be interested and I would be happy to contact you or others by email to explain more about the book and the interview. Thanks very much!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By BoomerInt on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 02:31 pm:

Memorial Day Reflection of A Vietnam Vet

At the shop tonight I was talking with my daughter Stacey and ended up listening to a driver's complaint about how Memorial day was not good for business. I have recently returned from a Viet Nam Vets reunion and thoughts of "my time in hell" are in the front of my mind quite a lot these days.

I know memorial day is a rough day for you guys but it's a rough day for me as well. It's a day of remembering.

Remembering can be curse when you've spent years trying to forget. It's even worse when you get mad at yourself for not being able to remember. It's strange that you forget so many things you want to remember and remember so much that you really want to forget.

I spent 11 months, 28 days in sunny Southeast Asia. I came back physically whole. "No members missing" tag on this Marine. By the Grace of God, good training, and just plain pure dumb luck, I suffered no more than a slight hearing loss, a concussion or two, and 35 years of mixed-blessing memories.

I was a lousy husband to my first two wives but I've been a good husband to my present wife. I was a lousy father to my three daughters and my son. I was a mediocre son to my mother, and a reasonably successful employee to five or six employers over the years. With these results, I consider myself as doing better than the average bear when compared to many of my fellow veterans. The Grace of God and luck still abound.

Memorial Day is not a day for self-evaluation or selfish thoughts. So I turn my remembrances to other people, places, and things. I remember heat. Heat that kept you from getting a full breath for weeks. Heat that sapped your strength so that you were beyond exhaustion after a minor exertion. Heat that made you tired and kept you from sleeping. Heat that made you sweat buckets. Heat that made you freezing cold at 70 degrees.

Read the rest ....

http://boomersint.org/articles/memorialday.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Tenne-jacques-joseph-alexandre Teed on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:09 am:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 02:05 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 01:34 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 01:18 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Bardolf Renach on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:33 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 09:33 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 11:11 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Sunday, March 5, 2006 - 11:10 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Tuesday, March 7, 2006 - 04:56 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Wednesday, March 8, 2006 - 10:06 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Thursday, March 9, 2006 - 08:48 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 11:42 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Sunday, March 12, 2006 - 01:00 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 02:25 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 02:51 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 02:41 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:30 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:30 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 03:53 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 03:46 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Sunday, April 2, 2006 - 05:26 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Monday, April 3, 2006 - 02:26 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Tuesday, April 4, 2006 - 09:41 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Tuesday, April 4, 2006 - 04:16 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, April 8, 2006 - 01:56 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Sunday, April 9, 2006 - 06:09 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Sunday, April 9, 2006 - 11:46 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Monday, April 10, 2006 - 07:54 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 01:10 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 11:04 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 12:44 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 10:26 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 06:28 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 11:39 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 07:28 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 07:46 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 10:26 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 01:20 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 11:09 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Friday, April 21, 2006 - 08:02 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 11:12 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 07:25 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 09:43 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 10:46 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 02:00 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 09:59 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Monday, April 24, 2006 - 11:07 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 05:48 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 05:08 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 09:01 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Friday, April 28, 2006 - 12:35 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, April 29, 2006 - 01:54 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Sunday, April 30, 2006 - 01:34 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Monday, May 1, 2006 - 03:54 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Tuesday, May 2, 2006 - 12:04 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Wednesday, May 3, 2006 - 01:02 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Thursday, May 4, 2006 - 02:07 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Friday, May 5, 2006 - 07:17 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, May 6, 2006 - 12:58 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Monday, May 8, 2006 - 02:10 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 12:19 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Wednesday, May 10, 2006 - 03:55 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 03:18 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, May 13, 2006 - 10:42 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Sunday, May 14, 2006 - 07:46 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 06:48 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 02:10 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 04:48 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Thursday, May 18, 2006 - 12:29 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Friday, May 19, 2006 - 05:07 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, May 20, 2006 - 11:08 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Tuesday, May 23, 2006 - 10:46 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 05:01 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By on Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 02:14 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By DVDFunXL on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 05:21 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By DVDFunXL on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 05:21 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By DVDFunXL on Friday, April 4, 2008 - 05:22 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Sean dobeu,Sean dobeu on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:48 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By nimelryes on Friday, May 9, 2008 - 04:20 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By nimelryes on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 08:35 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By nimelryes on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 08:35 pm:

Authentication Error

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By nimelryes on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 02:18 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By nimelryes on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 02:19 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By nimelryes on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 02:19 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By nimelryes on Wednesday, June 4, 2008 - 04:38 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By nimelryes on Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 11:25 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By nimelryes on Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 11:26 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By nimelryes on Thursday, June 5, 2008 - 11:27 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Bridgette Aguirre on Saturday, November 15, 2008 - 01:54 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Erwin Dudley on Sunday, November 16, 2008 - 09:10 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Sandi Bass on Tuesday, November 18, 2008 - 03:38 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Earnest Lewis on Wednesday, November 19, 2008 - 09:52 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Vikki Talley on Thursday, November 20, 2008 - 02:50 pm:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Jocelyn Ford on Friday, November 21, 2008 - 08:07 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Andra Langley on Saturday, November 22, 2008 - 10:16 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Kara Sims on Sunday, November 23, 2008 - 07:22 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By asianoithatvn on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 01:19 am:

Authentication Error

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By asianoithatvn on Sunday, January 2, 2011 - 07:45 pm:

Authentication Error

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: