Who is in bushes cabinet

Boomers International Board: Election - Politics: Who is in bushes cabinet
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, January 4, 2001 - 08:22 pm:

Who are the head of the departments in congress under bushes campaigne. For example
Department of Justice
Department of Secretary
Department of Treasury
Department of Affairs etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By send me something on Thursday, January 4, 2001 - 08:25 pm:

Someone please get back to me i need to know this for a class and i haven't found it online so if someone knows tell me. thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, January 4, 2001 - 10:03 pm:

- President-elect George W. Bush predicted on Thursday his largely conservative Cabinet nominees will "face tough questioning" at upcoming Senate confirmation hearings, but all will be approved.

As about a half dozen of his nominees made courtesy calls to Capitol Hill, Bush, voicing the sentiment of many in what will be a Republican-led Congress, said he expects them to soon be with him in a new administration.

"These are good, solid Americans who will be able to do the jobs to which I've appointed them," Bush told reporters in Austin, Texas.

Bush spokesman Ari Fleischer, sounding more combative than his boss, denounced the "war room mentality" in Washington and called on Democrats not to launch unwarranted battles against Bush's Cabinet choices.

Amid signs some Democrats and liberal special interest groups were arming themselves to fight at least three of Bush's more controversial nominees, Fleischer appealed for a "reasoned dialogue."

"One of the problems of Washington is that there are too many groups that are always warming up for the next battle and therefore Washington is always in the middle of a battle," Fleischer told reporters in a daily conference call.

THREE CHOICES FACE FIGHT

Three of Bush's designated choices -- John Ashcroft as attorney general, Linda Chavez as labor secretary and Gale Norton as interior secretary -- have caused some Democrats to ring alarm bells.

Former Missouri Sen. Ashcroft, a prominent Christian conservative and abortion rights foe, angered civil rights groups with his successful battle to keep a black Missouri judge off the federal bench.

Norton, former attorney general for Colorado, has upset environmentalists with her criticisms of federal environmental regulations and her close ties to what they consider enemies of land conservation.

Labor unions worry that Chavez, a former Reagan administration official and a strong opponent of affirmative action, will not look after their best interests.

The Washington Post reported on Thursday that the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, representing advocacy groups for labor, civil rights, women's rights and civil liberties, may soon formally oppose Ashcroft.

The Sierra Club has made clear it will oppose Norton as well as Ashcroft, and on Thursday, civil rights leader Jesse Jackson reaffirmed his opposition to Ashcroft and Chavez.

In a conference call with reporters, Jackson said he would appeal to Democratic senators to consider civil rights, women rights and workers rights in deciding how to vote.

ASHCROFT FACES TOUGHEST CHALLENGE

Ashcroft may face the toughest Cabinet confirmation battle since 1989, when another former Republican senator, John Tower of Texas, was rejected as defense secretary under Bush's father, then President George Bush.

In Austin, the new president-elect said, "I expect all my Cabinet officials will ... face tough questioning."

But Bush said, "I'm confident the Senate will give them a good, fair hearing. And I'm confident that when they hear their qualifications and their attitudes and their opinions, that they'll be confirmed."

Most of Bush's nominees, like Secretary of State-designate Colin Powell, are expected to sail through their Senate confirmation.

The Senate Commerce Committee held a confirmation hearing on Thursday for Commerce Department nominee Don Evans, a Texas oil millionaire and campaign fund-raiser for Bush. The panel is expected to approve Evans and send his nomination to the full Senate for confirmation soon.

No other confirmation hearing has been set. Yet all are expected to begin within the next few weeks.

Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah, ranking Republican on the Judiciary Committee, predicted confirmation for Ashcroft, saying, "I don't think that's going to be a problem. He's got a 30-year record that's very outstanding."

Sen. Patrick Leahy, ranking Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, met privately with Ashcroft on Thursday and afterward declined to predict if he was in any trouble.

"I never make judgements on nominations before we have a hearing," Leahy told reporters.

Ashcroft declined comment to reporters, except to say as he rushed down a congressional hallway, "All I want to do is wish everyone a happy New Year."

3 >
3 >

3 >

CHAT ABOUT IT!
Chat live with other members about today's top headlines!
3 > Join our News and Current Events chat now!
3 > News and Current Events Bulletin Board

POLITICS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, January 4, 2001 - 10:07 pm:

http://www.politics1.com/news1.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Friday, January 5, 2001 - 09:27 pm:

Great Politics Web site you posted above...
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Jeri on Monday, January 8, 2001 - 04:16 pm:

Who are the head of the departments in congress under bushes campaigne:

Get infor here :

http://www.bushcheney.com/home.html

Department of Justice

John Ashcroft as attorney general,

Department of Secretary
Colin Powell as Secretary of State
Linda Chavez as labor secretary
Gale Norton as interior secretary

Department of Treasury
Don Evans Commerce Department

Department of Affairs etc.
Joe Allbaugh As Director Of FEMA;
Karl Rove As Senior Advisor To The President
Mary Matalin, as an adviser to the Bush White House

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By oujdidk on Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 11:47 am:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: