Dying with Dignity

Boomers International Board: Spirituality : Dying with Dignity
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 02:27 pm:

I am 51 years old and very interested in how Boomers feel about the concept of being able to die with dignity. I watched my father die of lung cancer that spread to his spine, and as a result believe that the US laws around being able to die with dignity should change. As a Baby Boomer, I'm wondering if others feel the same and would like to be able to have control of how they die in the end. I'm also a student and am doing a research project on this topic locally, but I'd be interested in your input. Thank you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 12:04 am:

I think that depends on what do you define as "DYING WITH DIGNITY"?

Do you think that the person should be left alone to die without any artificial life support.

Do you think that the person should be able to choose to stay alive and die only when it is time and at the last resort?

Well, I would only be able to judge whether I want to live or die depends on what I would have to face... LIfe supporting device? Feeding tubes? How do I know - should I create a "Living Will" ?? How do I know what to do ? May be I want to live... hard to say..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Green Shunk on Saturday, April 2, 2005 - 09:54 pm:

I would not want to have someone else decide for me but I do not think living will is the answer either. It depends on the moment in time and the time is not here and now .. it is in the future. How do I know whether I want to live or die. IT DEPENDS on the situation - you are so right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By AlishaB on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 01:04 pm:

Exactly how I feel that it is depends on the situation. In the meantime if I live to be 95 and face with a grave health situation - I would hope that my family (children) would make the right decision for me. Do I want to live in pain? No!

At the same time, if I am healthy physically at 100 but if I am not capable mentally to take care of myself, should allow someone to take my life in their hands? No!

Life is complex.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: