Advise your kids

Boomers International Board: Job And Career: Advise your kids
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Garyzs on Friday, August 25, 2000 - 05:40 pm:

What career or "job" would you Boomers advise your children to go into today?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, August 29, 2000 - 12:00 pm:

They have to live by their dreams and goals!
What's in their hearts and what's their burning desires?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By starjm50/Jim on Monday, September 4, 2000 - 06:02 pm:

And Paying attention to the Gifts and Talents that have been Givin to Them,this has Been True throughout time,trouble is Many Don't pay Enough attention!!
Thinking that the easy way is to Get a Piece of paper that says they are intelligent,and trying to fake it,the rest of their lives,leaving Unhappiness in their Wake!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, September 5, 2000 - 11:43 am:

Very well said Jim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Tuesday, September 5, 2000 - 05:06 pm:

They have to weight in the PROs and CONs of what they want to do and are going to do.. AGAINST the type of CAREERs or JOBs that are highly paid and highly demand in the job market. that they think will allow them to achive the financial rewards. It is complex because the payback is depending on how good can they be in those jobs and the monetary payback and the satisfactory they get back in life against one another, and the long term and short term paybacks etc...
One rarely stays in the career that one got into in their younger years anyway....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Garyzs on Tuesday, September 5, 2000 - 09:06 pm:

I just brought my daughter back to college for her Junior year. She was unhappy that the school had assigned her a new roommate. I met the roommate - a sweet girl from the mid-west. She told us of her dreams. She is going on to graduate school for her Masters in Social Work. I was surprised. I know the marketplace somewhat, and social work is not a desired (high paying) profession. I asked her "why?" She said that she does not care about money but wants to work with the homeless in the urban centers of the cities. I'm finding that more and more the younger generation does not care about money - but, get their values and dreams - not from the balance in their bankbooks - but from the goodness in their hearts. Bless them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Anonymous on Thursday, September 6, 2001 - 03:24 pm:

that is defintly true. i find alot of the younger generation seem to be looking for Jobs where they can stay at home.
"family" seems to be a bigger concept than it was 10 years ago. the kids this generation are seeing the mistakes that their parents made and dont want to do the same thing.
Alot of the Kids are striving to try and save the marriages and though they need Good Jobs to keep up with the rising costs of things I think They should definely seek somthing where they will be happy. You spend half of your life at work why be misrable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By boomersint on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 02:31 pm:

"While looking in space and seeing the unlimited possibilities, so are the opportunities when doors are opened and closed. When one door is closed, another door opens. Just as the universe is filled with opportunities for all who can see them."
- Peter Teekemp (1950 -)
Artist

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By snuky1150 on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 12:22 am:

I have a stepfamily of 12, now all adults. The youngest is 20 years old. I've suggested that they identify their passions - the things that truly give them a sense of fulfillment - then follow that passion when deciding on careers. If you make lots of money in the process - good for you. If you don't, but it brings you happiness and a sense of purpose, all the better. Most of us spend many years in the work field and spend a least 1/3 of our weekday at our place of employment. If you're in a career that you hate, it is shear punishment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Lenvxjik on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 05:46 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of pageLink to this message  By Abapo on Friday, November 20, 2009 - 09:31 pm:

Authentication Error

Your username/password combination was invalid, or you do not have permission to post to this topic. You may revise your username and password using the form at the bottom of this page.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password: