(Please print this page for your personal safe keeping)
- Are the dishes and food accessible on lower shelves?
- Is there a telephone available? Are there emergency phone numbers displayed near the phone or on the refrigerator?
- Is there a work triangle everywhere there is a food preparation area, mixing area and cooking area in a linear or trangular pattern for easier access?
- What type of refrigerator is in use? Is the freezer side by side to the refrigerator or is it on top? (Side by side provides easier accessibility.)
- Are there adjustable counter tops, corner counters, pull out surfaces and stools?
- Is there a non skid runner or rug in front of the sink?
- Are the floors non skid? (Do not use floor polishes and make sure grease and other items are not present.)
- Is there a smoke alarm and fire extinguisher?
- Are the sinks deep? If wheelchair accessiblity is needed, provide with a free standing sink.
- Are there any foods with expired dates that should be thrown away?
- If adaptive devices are required such as extended graspers or eating devices, are they provided?
- Are sharp object which may be harmful to a confused adult kept out of the way in a secure area?
- Are towels and curtains near the stove? (if the window is open, you will want to remove these to prevent fires from starting.)
- Is there sufficient lighting above the stove, the sink and the countertops?
- Are all electrical wires and appliances a safe distance from the sink?
- Are there clearly marked "off" indicators for the stove and appliances?
- Is there a food timer and a whistling teakettle to remind your loved one when something is ready?
- Is there plastic dinnerware available if needed to prevent breakages of glass and china? Are they microwaveable?
- Are pots and pans too heavy for maneuvering? If so, they should be replaced with lighter ones. If this is not possible, provide access to them at a proper level.
- Are pot holders or mittens available for use?
- Is there a sturdy step stool?
- Are pet food dishes out of the walking path?
- Do chairs have casters or rollers for easier movement?
- Is there an E-Z Reacher type of device to reach the higher shelves?
- Are exhaust and ventilation systems working properly?
© Copyright 1995-2003
All Rights Reserved
Boomers International Institute™