Re: Rented camper and PCH driving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Pacific Coast Highway One Bulletin Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by PCHwyGal (128.122.122.31) on December 22, 2003 at 15:21:05:

In Reply to: Rented camper and PCH driving posted by Ana on December 22, 2003 at 12:25:34:

Good for you. I hope that you will enjoy your trip.
Before you leave, you need to check the highway condition from Morro Bay to Carmel via PC Highway One. You might want to take the inland road on Highway 101 instead. The wind and rain will make it very difficult to drive up north in a camper on PC Highway One itself. If you do drive up PLEASE LEAVE early during the morning because of the bright sunset in the evening which will hit you in the face when you drive up. IT IS also PITCH DARK at night time. It is a one way road so if you drive slow people will be on your tail. If you drive too fast it is too dangerous (kind of scarey for me)

Here's the info on driving on PC Highway One around BIG SUR areas. Also useful Phone No. for Road Condition.

http://jrabold.net/bigsur/drive.htm

Road Conditions
Current conditions on California Highway 1 can be obtained from the California Department of Transportation (CalTrans). The Big Sur region lies almost entirely within California's Monterey County; a small portion of its southern end is in San Luis Obispo County. This information may be helpful to you in interpreting CalTrans's reports, because many reported conditions on Highway 1 are outside the Big Sur region.

800.427.7623 (touch-tone within California only)
415.557.3755 (touch-tone only)
213.628.7623 (touch-tone only)
916.445.1534 (rotary phones OK)

Enjoy & Best wishes~

IF you go inland, have fun in San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles....

http://www.visitslo.com/

: I just rented a camper for my family and we are planning on driving up Hwy 1 from LA to Carmel. I've never driven a camper but I am a good driver. I'm just worried about the other drivers out there. I've driven this stretch of road several times in a car. Should I be worried? Is it not a good idea to do this? Leaving tomorrow...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Pacific Coast Highway One Bulletin Board ] [ FAQ ]